Parent Handbook
If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.
  • Frequently Asked Questions:

    What do I do if I think my child may need special educational services through the Preschool EC Program?

    Parents can call the main number (252) 793-5171 and set up an appointment to speak with the district’s EC PreK Coordinator.  At this appointment, parents will be required to write a letter stating exactly why they are making a referral for screening/evaluation.  Preschool staff will then conduct screenings (hearing, vision, speech/language, developmental) to determine what type of assessment your child may require to identify any educational need.

    What happens if my child passes the screening?

    If your child passes all parts of the screening, generally that would indicate that there is not a need to evaluate your child for special education services.

    What if my child fails some or all of the screening?

    With your permission, your child will receive evaluations in the areas of concern identified as delayed during the screening process. At the completion of assessments, you will be asked to attend a meeting to determine if your child is eligible for special education services. If your child is determined eligible, an Individual Education Plan (IEP) is developed and implemented for your child.

    What is the difference between Exceptional Children's Preschool Program and Washington County School Pre-K?

    The Exceptional Children's Preschool program provides special education services for children as indicated on their Individualized Education Plan (IEP). Children can be eligible for these services beginning at age 3. Children who are four years of age by August 31 are eligible to apply to the WCS Pre-K program.  

    What do I do if I moved here from another county or state and my child has an IEP?

    Call our main office (252) 793-5171. We will meet with you and make the necessary arrangements to obtain your child's Exceptional Children's file from the state or county you have come from and determine the appropriate special education services for your child that meet NC Guidelines.