Phone: 252-793-5171 x 1107
Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Michele Brickhouse
The mission of the Exceptional Children's Program is to ensure students with disabilities develop intellectually, physically, emotionally and vocationally through the provision of an appropriate individualized education program in the least restrictive environment.
Students with disabilities will leave the Washington County School System prepared to live as independently as possible, pursue meaningful career paths, make suitable choices and be model citizens within our community and nation.
The philosophy of the Washington County Schools Exceptional Children's Program is based on the following principles:
- All students can learn
- All students have the right to a Free Appropriate Public Educational program implemented to meet that student’s individual needs and can ensure success.
- All students are entitled to appropriate opportunities for growth in their cognitive, functional, and social domains.
- All students are valuable and are equal regardless of their disability.
- All students have a right to receive an education that will propel each of them to become independent and contributing members of society.
In order to realize our philosophy, the Washington County Schools Exceptional Children's Program will persistently:
- Identify and provide appropriate services to students with a disability
- Educate our students with disabilities in the least restrictive environment to the maximum extent appropriate.
- Provide professional development that will enhance our educators’ knowledge and skills to better teach and provide the best support for our students with disabilities.
- Be cognizant of and protect the rights of students with disabilities and their parents in developing programs and services to meet their needs.
- Decrease and eliminate unnecessary referrals and returning students, who no longer qualify for special education services to the general educational environment.
- Educate our Families on the important roles they play in the lives of students with disabilities.
Washington County Public Schools Exceptional Children's Program is committed to providing an education that meets the individual needs of our students with disabilities. We are dedicated to providing the support and related services necessary to assure that our students are successful and are treated as equals.